RE: Simplifying IKE

Andrew,

Normal, of course, is in the eye of the beholder.  Nokia has hardware
assist for its DH, so the QM PFS in most of our systems (our low end models
don't have the chip) is essentially free.  Moving forward, I think all
vendors will be relying on hardware assist, so this situation only gets
better over time.  That is, if you think there is no value to Phase 2 PFS,
which I don't happen to agree with you on.  I would be more inclined to
make QM PFS mandatory, if that's viewed as simplifying.  However, I think
that the optional nature of QM PFS is one of the better defined parts of
the IKE protocol and removing this wouldn't buy us much.

Derrell

--On Sunday, August 12, 2001 10:04 AM +0100 Andrew Krywaniuk