Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Michael Thomas wrote:
> ...I think I disagree with your "fullest" assessment
> since simple traffic analysis may shatter many
> false illusions about protected identities.

I think you've missed my point slightly.  If all key negotiation uses
identity protection, then it is impossible to tell whether the results of
such traffic analysis are valid:  there is no way to determine whether
non-trivial identity information was exchanged.  But if protection is used
only when there is something specific to protect, then the traffic analyst
*knows* whether his results are applicable or not.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: