Re: SOI: preshared

Henry Spencer writes:
 > > You could
 > > conceivably get rid of the DH if you don't care
 > > about identity, but for preshared keys it seems
 > > questionable why you'd want to do _either_.
 >
 > Today's preshared keys are for authentication, not encryption, so the DH
 > step is not optional -- they often are things like English phrases, which
 > may be okay for authentication but definitely does not provide encryption
 > strong enough to adequately protect session-key exchanges.

   Well, it need not be -- especially if you buy into
   Cheryl's premise that IKE is a machine-machine
   protocol more than a user-user protocol. It's
   not hard to choose and remember a symmetric key
   which isn't subject to dictionary attacks if
   you're a machine, after all.

   But this really does beg the question of what
   the requirement actually is here. Do we need to
   have a well-supported/efficient peer to peer
   preshared key scheme for IKE or not. If we
   do, it informs this debate. If we do not, we
   can skip this debate altogether.

	    Mike