RE: CBC makes Implementations too Slow.

I'm not sure if using a packet counter for an IV is bad. It's just that you can't wrap. It's important that the same key/IV combination not get reused. I don't believe that the requirement for a random IV is necessary. The reason I point this out is that the secure RTP spec <draft-ieft-avt-srtp-01.txt> uses an implicit IV (to save on transmitting extra data) which is based on information in the RTP header (and really is just a packet counter under the covers).

Lee Dilkie

Mitel Networks
350 Legget Drive
Kanata, ON, Canada
K2K 2W7

Phone: 1-613-592-5660

"It wasn't easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to fit in eight hours of TV a day."
     - Homer Simpson (from "The Simpsons")