RE: IKEv2 and SIGMA

My personal opinion on non-repudiation is that this should be a requireent
only from applications where the semantics of what is signed are explicit
and clear to the signer (and where all the legal implications of signing
are also explicit and clear). This is not the case with IKE (or ipsec in
general) where one is signing all type of formatted and un-formatted
information (such as IDs and nonces). Signatures in a key exchange
protocol are used for two-party authentication, not for leaving provable
traces for use by third parties.

And apropos not leaving provable traces of communications, I see this as a
good property of a key-exchange protocol, but NOT an essential
requirement. In particular SIGMA is not designed specifically to meet this
requirement. You get it as a free bonus since the protocol (for other GOOD
reasons) does not sign the peer's id.

Hugo