RE: IKEv2 and SIGMA

Beating a dead horse.
I said it far too many times: the concern is to make sure
the MAC covers the ID.

For cleanliness and robustness I preferred the ID to appear as an explicit
input to the MAC, but if people are content with having the ID under the
ciphertext and the latter is MACed (with SKEYID_a/SKEYSEED_a) that's fine
too. Just MAKE SURE that in the design process the ID stays there. Also
make sure that the spec clearly documents the need for this ID to be
there.

BTW, as for my emphatic response to Dan as you quote, what it means is
that covering the ID by the signature is no replacement for covering it
with the MAC. SIgnature and MAC have different roles here.

Hugo