RE: Suggested modification to AES privacy draft

I should point out that this relates to an earlier discussion on this list
from August of last year, which is whether it is better to have one SA
between two gateways or whether it is better to have separate SAs for each
flow. Scott didn't mention his attack back then... maybe he didn't notice it
until recently.

Several people commented that it better to have a single SA because it
thwarts traffic analysis. I pointed out that the only reason I could think
of to use multiple SAs was to avoid adaptive chosen plaintext attacks. A
couple of people replied that ciphers which are not resistant to these
attacks shoudn't be used with IPsec. But Scott's attack shows that it is not
enough for the cipher to be resistant to adaptive chosen plaintext attacks.
The protocol itself also has to be made resistant to these attacks.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.