RE: Remove SHOULD for elliptic curve groups in IKEv2

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 andrew.krywaniuk@alcatel.com wrote:
> > The valid reason for ignoring them is that the patent
> owners seem unwilling
> > to disclose exactly what they own.
>
> Patents (although not patent applications) are public information, so
> there should be no question about this, aside from the need
> to find the
> relevant patents and interpret the often-obscure verbiage.  Of course,
> it's helpful if the owners are willing to discuss the details.

Patent applications are not public information. I may (or may not)
have filled a submarine patent on any of the technology involved
in any specification and just not tell you.

I don't even have to do any inventing, I could just perjure myself
to the patent office then wait till your startup files an IPO and
file a lawsuit a couple of days before the launch, unless of course
you give me a couple hundred thousand shares.

Unfortunately for you, you could not do that without risking
violating a patent application that I might have filed.

Another risk for academics who file patents on my work is that my
current policy is to consider any patent claim that covers work
that I have performed previously without reference to my prior art
to be a prima-facie case of plagarism and make the appropriate
complaint to their university.

Alledged owners of alledged patents have on numerous occasions
made claims to technologies that are not covered by a patent. We
can all remember the famous statement by Jim Bizdos concerning
the claim that the Stanford DH patent covered RSA.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker (E-mail).vcf