RE: Remove SHOULD for elliptic curve groups in IKEv2

The basic assumption that EC is based on is that it is harder to
cryptanalyse EC parameters than modular parameters of the same length.

The problem is that this assumption may not be valid. EC is a pretty new
field and interest in EC algorithms has been pretty sparse. We have several
centuries of experience with modular arithmetic however. People are still
comming up with fundamental theorems in the EC space such as the 'Fermats
Last theorem' proof that demonstrated all Elliptic curves are Modular. What
if someone can convert one to the other in acceptable time for the classes
of EC we use in crypto?

Len Addleman has been cautioning folk against using EC for several years. I
strongly suspect he is working on the topic again after he showed that hyper
eliptic curves are no stronger than those in 2D.

While I don't have a major problem with using EC in place of 1024 bit RSA
for performance, but performance alone is unlikely to persuade the group
that the algorthms are SHOULD and not MAY. I do have a major problem with
people using EC in place of RSA or DSA for higher levels of security. That
is the justification being made for their inclusion as SHOULD instead of
MAY. I find the argument on that score to be less than compelling.

If you are using 256 bit AES the computational issues of 2048 bit RSA should
be irrelevant to you and the computational issues of 3072 or 4096 should not
be a major issue.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist