Re: Choosing between IKEv2 and JFK

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Ran Canetti wrote:
> Anyway, when deciding between the two protocols for the next generation of
> IKE, it may be good to keep in mind that IKEv1 will most probably be around
> for a while (if not for good), living side-by-side with the next generation.
> Thus, it may be beneficial to have a next generation protocol that best
> matches the scenarios that IKEv1 doesnt...

That depends on whether we think of the new protocol as a supplement to
IKEv1, or as something that will slowly replace it.

I don't believe there would be nearly this level of interest in adding yet
another keying protocol *beside* IKEv1.  The intent is definitely to
*replace* IKEv1.  The fact that there will inevitably be a lengthy
transition period should not be confused with an intention for the two to
coexist indefinitely.

Therefore, if a particular candidate is poor at handling some scenarios
that IKEv1 handles well, that *is* definitely a point against it.  Perhaps
not a fatal flaw, depending on details, but definitely a disadvantage.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net