Re: divergent interpretations of IKE/IPsec - interop issues

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Sami Vaarala wrote:
> >   ...draft-spencer-ipsec-ike-implementation-02.txt..
>
> I've read the draft, and I liked the content.  However, I don't think
> it addresses all the issues that an implementor faces, especially the
> details of processing individual messages.  One way forward would be
> to extend this document with more details, and make it less FreeS/WAN
> specific.

It's currently FreeS/WAN-specific mostly because that's the data we had.
Some things aren't addressed because we have no data on them, others just
because we never thought of discussing them.  We already mention a few
things we learned from other people rather than experiencing them directly;
we'd be happy to add more such words of wisdom, with or without explicit
credit as people prefer.

Input would be welcome, especially detailed input -- saying "you ought to
discuss X" is helpful, but it's much more helpful to say "X is a problem,
the obvious solutions XA and XB don't work because of Y, but XC seems to
work with everyone if you take precaution Z".  Some of this information is
already present in places like mailing-list archives, but digging through
them in search of such gems is impossibly time-consuming.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net