Re: dynamic ports vs. rekeying

On 5 Apr 2002, Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:

> I think dynamic selectors are different from rekeying. Not only does
> updating the selectors of the existing SA save bits on the wire, but from a
> robustness point of view, it means that to any synchronization errors
> between the peers will only affect the new traffic.
>
> Imagine there is a race condition between the QM3 (or Create_Child_Sa2) and
> the data traffic. The most reliable thing to do is to send the old traffic
> on the old SA for a short while and send the new traffic on the new SA
> (since the selectors won't match the old SA). Wouldn't it be easier to send
> send all traffic on the new SA automatically because the new SA is the old
> SA? If the selectors haven't been updated yet then new traffic will be
> dropped for a short while.
>
> On the subject of rekeying, I agree that using the old phase 1s until they
> expired (as specified in draft-jenkins) didn't work, but the immediate
> switch-over in draft-specncer is too hasty. I recommend that an
> implementation should continue to use its old SA for a short time (e.g. 30
> seconds) after the new one is negotiated to account for any lost packets. It
> should also wait a short time after that before deleting the old SA.

Is this still an issue in ikev2? Quick mode is no longer 3 messages,
so the responder can immediately install all SA's and the initiator
can start sending when he receives the reply...

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847