RE: SOI QUESTIONS: 2.6 Formal proofs of security

Phill,

I'm glad we're in agreement. The reason that I went into this long exposition
of security analysis methods is that I got the feeling from the discussion
that some people may be mistakenly equating "rigorous analysis of protocols"
with "formal methods".

A good set of empirical tests is always welcome. But I fear that any set of
specific empirical tests would be unable to provide the desired level of
confidence. (what if there is another attack that we didnt think of.)

I personally favor cryptographic analysis. Here you can rigorously
claim that the protocol cannot be broken - by *any* attacker - unless you
actually break the underlying computational assumption. (This is done by
showing how to turn *any* attacker that breaks the protocol into an algorithm
that solves the underlying intractable problem.)

Ran

BTW, in this vein, there is a paper by Hugo and me in the upcoming crypto
conference that rigorously proves the security of the cryptographic protocol
that stands at the core of both IKEv1 (sig modes), IKEv2 (sig mode), and JFKr.
This is not intended as full analysis of either of those protocols, but it
demonstrates that the core of those protocols is secure.

ipsec@lists.tislabs.com Thu Jun 27 14:30:19 2002