Re: Handling of IPcomp in IKEv2

Thanks for the explanation, Charlie! I never understood
the IKEv1 IPcomp stuff, but I understand your proposed design. I'd assumed
that IKEv1 could negotiate doing IPcomp *without* either AH or ESP,
in which case the CPI would indeed identify a session. But I'm glad
people don't want to be able to do that.

What you propose certainly sounds sane. Any chance of making
it even simpler, and having the codes for identifying
the compression algorithms be the same as the CPI? Then
instead of saying, "I support xxx and will identify it with code 45", you
could just say "I support 45". I guess this would require
IANA to assign a CPI before a compression algorithm could get
used.

Radia