RE: IPSec over GRE why ?

RE: IPSec over GRE why ? Presumably because it's the way Cisco treats Ipsec = which is as an encapsulation. This means you cannot run your routing = protocols over it directly. Cisco requires GRE for that, which though = good in certain cases, is mostly an overhead. Many other vendors treat = Ipsec as an interface, modelling it as a logical construct, enabling = running routing protocols directly over the Ipsec = interfaces. Rgds Shashi Kiran -----Original Message----- From: Shelton, Raymond A. [<3d.htm>mailto:SheltonR@health.miss= ouri.edu] Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:43 AM To: Derek Atkins; ssakhuja@cisco.com Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com Subject: RE: IPSec over GRE why ? I wasn't that person, but let's pretend I play him on = T.V. for a moment... imagine that I have a GRE tunnel to a remote clinic; = further suppose I need the traffic to be IPSec b/c of HIPPA regs. = Should I have more accurately asked for IPSec in GRE, as opposed to GRE = w/in IPSec? ras -----Original Message----- From: Derek Atkins [<3d.htm>mailto:derek@ihtfp.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:24 AM To: ssakhuja@cisco.com Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com Subject: Re: IPSec over GRE why ? Why don't you ask the person who told you to use = GRE? -derek "Sandeep Sakhuja" = writes: > Hi > > I am Sandeep. I am working on implementing = IPSec lab. When implementing IPSec > across different routing domains we need to use = GRE or IIPTran. My Question is > why do I have to use the same. IPSec does not = support multicast packets that is > known, but then my interesting traffic which I = need to be protected is not the > routing updates, so why do I have to use GRE = ? > > Thanks > - Sandeep > -- Derek = Atkins Computer and = Internet Security Consultant = derek@ihtfp.com   www.ihtfp.com