RE: QoS and IKEv2

Hi,
Thanks for your response,

> Actually, it should be PHB information.  For more discussion of QoS
> and tunnels, see RFC 2983.  RFC 3308 contains a worked solution to
> this sort of problem for L2TP.

RFC 2983 specifies:
   "If reordering-based differentiation is desired within
   such tunnels, multiple parallel tunnels between the same endpoints
   should be used."

I was merely saying that the IKEv2 draft does not seem to support this,
since there is no way to indicate to the responder what the tunnels are
going to be used for (see my original message below). Indeed the responder
is advised to "wait a random amount of time before closing a redundant SA"
[ikev2-05] - which would seem to prevent creation of multiple IPsec tunnels
differing only by PHB information.

Again, it seems to me it might be easier to explicitly include this (PHB)
information in the TS payload. This requires modifications to the IKEv2
draft.

Thanks again,
Jesse

> It seems to me it may be easier to explicitly include this (ToS)
> information in the TS payload.

Actually, it should be PHB information.  For more discussion of QoS
and tunnels, see RFC 2983.  RFC 3308 contains a worked solution to
this sort of problem for L2TP.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754