RE: "Me Tarzan, You Jane" in IKEv2-05

"Geoffrey Huang" <ghuang@cisco.com> wrote:
> I agree with Dan Harkins' previous comment that the responder can pick
> how to authenticate itself based on the initiator's identity.  Since
> both the IDi and the optional IDr come at the same time, I don't see how
> including the optional payload buys you anything.
>
> The difference between IKE and SSL is that SSL doesn't use the identity
> of the "initiator" to demux its own possible identities.

SSL can't use the identity of the initiator to demux its own possible
identities because the responder gives its name first. IKE could use
the initiator's identity to decide what name to respond as, but this
assumes that each initiator would only ever want to talk to a single
responder identity at the shared IP address. Suppose there are a few
dozen porn sites (i.e. different site names) all at a single IP address.
You have to connect to them over an encrypted channel because they
take credit card numbers, but they can't use SSL because they send
streaming video over UDP. A single user might want to connect to
multiple of these sites - not knowing (or caring) that they are
colocated. The operator of the server would like to disguise - at
least to a limited degree - the fact that the services are colocated
(say - to provide the illusion of variety), but doesn't want to waste
IP addresses. In this case the server can't tell
from the initiator name which virtual server is being accessed.

There are probably more respectable uses for this protocol, but this
sadly may be the high volume scenario.

> A related question I have is what happens if the responder sends an
> identity that's different from the IDr requested by the initiator?

The responder is free to ignore the IDr; the initiator has to decide
whether the provided identity is acceptable. Or it could reject the
connection if it didn't think its identity is going to be acceptable.

          --Charlie