	From: Uri Meth <umeth@columbia.sparta.com>
	To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
	Subject: Re: IKEv2 cookie question
	USMail: 9861 Broken Land Parkway, Suite 300, Columbia MD 21046
	Phone: (410) 381-9400 x233
	Fax: (410) 381-5559

	Based on the addition of the COOKIE_REUQIRED type, and there being 2
	notification payloads in the responder message, I still would like to
	make sure I understand one last point - the contents of
	N(COOKIE_REQUIRED) (the notification payload of type COOKIE_REQUIRED).

	The Notification_Data field of this payload, will be empty as there is
	nothing more to pass except to let the initiator know that a cookie is
	required.  The real information that will be necessary to extract from
	the message is the computed valued which is contained in the
	Notification_Data field of the N(COOKIE) payload.

	Is all this correct? Thanx

	UM

	On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 06:13:56PM -0500, Radia Perlman - Boston Center
for Networking wrote:
	> Uri is correct. (good catch!)
	>
	> The reason for having both N(COOKIE_REQUIRED) and N(COOKIE)
	> is that IKEv2 has high numbers for type codes for notifies
	> for "just information" vs low numbers for type codes of
	> notifies for "errors". Since Alice also sends a COOKIE
	> in the next message, then that would argue for making
	> the cookie notification payload a "just information" type.
	> But since Bob is explaining why he's refusing the connection
	> attempt, it would argue for being an error type when Bob sends it.
	>
	> So the spec does it by having two payloads...one an error
(COOKIE_REQUIRED),
	> and the other (COOKIE) passing the cookie.
	>
	> Certainly there are lots of perfectly reasonable ways of
	> doing this (for instance, just removing the N(COOKIE_REQUIRED)
	> and not having it look like an "error", or having two type
	> codes for COOKIE, depending on which direction the COOKIE is
	> travelling). Nothing really wrong with how Charlie chose to
	> do it, other than as Uri points out, the spec is inconsistent.
	>
	> So probably the easiest change is to add a low-number notification
	> type for COOKIE_REQUIRED, e.g.,
	>
	>         COOKIE_REQUIRED                       12
	>
	>             IKE_SA_INIT rejected because no cookie was included.
	>
	>
	> >>Is there any way to fix the spec to clear up this ambiguity?
	> err...yeah...I believe it's not too late at this point. Thanks, again.
	>
	> Radia
	>
	>
	>
	>
	> 	From: Uri Meth <umeth@columbia.sparta.com>
	>
	>
	> 	In the MSEC group, there has been a proposal to potentially add
cookies
	> 	to the GSAKMP protocol.  Since IKE had already dealt with this
issue I
	> 	looked into how you did cookies.  I am very intrigued by your
use of
	> 	cookies, but in reading through the IKEv2 spec I have some
questions.
	> 	Either I do not understand your syntax, something is missing, or
there
	> 	is some mis-information.  Please help me clarify what is
happening.

	> 	In Section 2.6 - Cookies , you give the disection for you
message
	> structure
	> 	using cookies:
	>
	> 	       Initiator                          Responder
	> 	       HDR(A,0), SAi1, KEi, Ni   -->
	>
	> 	                                 <-- HDR(A,0),
N(COOKIE_REQUIRED),