RE: [rohc] FW: ESP and header compression (ROHC)

> Taking the 'ROHC over re-ordering channels' question more
> generally; RFC 3095 does not work in such an environment.
> However, we are (I believe) trying to address this issue as
> part of ROHC for TCP...

This was a design decision we made for 3095, but personally
I think the modifications needed to make it work also in case
of mis-ordering are small. If someone wants to look at this
and write some input on it, I would be more than happy.

> Anyway, tunnels (and especially IPsec) can simply be treated
> as a link.  In which case, rohc can be applied on that link.

Yes, a "ROHC over tunnels" document could potentially be
justifiable.

> In the case of IPsec/ESP it may make a great deal of sense to
> compress the headers inside of the tunnel encapsulation.  The
> VPN endpoints are probably disjoint from any particular
> physical link that benefits from compression and so, to me,
> it makes sense to do the compression in the two different places.

Yes, that is what you would have to do if encryption is applied
over the tunnel.

/L-E