Re: IKE key question

"George Hadjichristofi" <ghadjich@vt.edu  wrote on 07/09/2003 07:35:37 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions with regards to the usage of keys.
>
> After an IKE negotiation, what key is used to encrypt data between two
> communicating entities?
>
> Is it the SKEYID_e key derived during the IKE negotiation or is it the
> shared/public key?

SKEYID_e is used to encrypt subsequent data that is encoded using IKE.
Data encoded using ESP is encrypted using a key derived from SKEYID_d and
data from the quick mode exchange. The long term shared/public keys are
only used with a small amount of data at the beginning of the IKE
negotiation.

        --Charlie Kaufman