Fwd: IPsec ESN addendum -- Last Call revisions

Title: Fwd: IPsec ESN addendum -- Last Call revisions
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:45:19 -0400
To: "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Karen Seo <kseo@bbn.com>
Subject: IPsec ESN addendum -- Last Call revisions
Cc: Barbara Fraser <byfraser@cisco.com>, tytso@mit.edu, skent@bbn.com,
   clynn@bbn.com, kseo@bbn.com

Here are the comments and their status for the ESN addendum ....  Revisions have been made to address the comments and the changes have been approved by the commenter.  These cover all the tickets for the ESN addendum.

Should I go ahead and submit the revised draft to the IETF?

Karen

Commenter:      Russ Housley
Date:           6/12/03 and 7/9/03
                requested on 7/9/03 to remove the sentence that
                referred the reader to AH/ESP, that this has been
                approved by Russ on 7/9/03

I propose an alternative Abstract.

   The IP Security Authentication Header (AH) and Encapsulating
   Security Payload (ESP) protocols use a sequence number
   to detect replay.  This document describes extensions to the
   Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation (DOI) for
   Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol
   (ISAKMP) to negotiate the use of traditional 32-bit sequence
   numbers or extended 64-bit sequence numbers for a
   particular AH or ESP security association.

        We proposed the above paragraph and left in a sentence
        that referred the reader to AH and ESP for a description of
        ESN.  Russ replied on 7/9/03:

I do not think you can have references in the Abstract.  I suggest dropping the final sentence.

   So we've changed the abstract as follows:

  From:
        This document describes extensions to the Internet IP Security
        Domain of Interpretation for ISAKMP [DOI] that are needed to
        support negotiation of whether or not a Security Association
        will use Extended (64-bit) Sequence Numbers. (See [AH] and
        [ESP] for a description of Extended Sequence Numbers.)

   To:
        The IP Security Authentication Header (AH) and Encapsulating
        Security Payload (ESP) protocols use a sequence number to
        detect replay.  This document describes extensions to the
        Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation (DOI) for the
        Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol
        (ISAKMP).  These extensions support negotiation of the use of
        traditional 32-bit sequence numbers or extended 64-bit sequence
        numbers for a particular AH or ESP security association.

Commenter:      Russ Housley and David Black
Date:           6/12/03 and 7/9/03

[Russ Housley 6/12/03

It would be helpful if the IANA Considerations section indicated the portion of the registry where the TBD value needs to be assigned.

[David Black 6/16/03

In draft-ietf-ipsec-esn-addendum-01.txt, the IANA
Considerations section needs to be replaced by text
asking IANA to allocate an "IPSEC Security Association
Attributes" value and using that number to replace
the TBD under the "value" heading in Section 2.  It
may be necessary to include text in the IANA
Considerations section saying that this value "is
assigned by the standards action of this RFC" or
something like that.

   We've changed the IANA Considerations section:

   From:
        This document contains "magic" numbers to be
        maintained by the IANA. No additional values will be
        assigned.

        This document contains a "magic" number to be maintained by
        the IANA.  No additional class values will be assigned for
        this attribute.  Upon approval of this draft for publication
        as an RFC, IANA is to allocate an IPsec Security Attribute
        value for "Attribute Type".  This value is to replace the TBD
        under the heading "value" in the table in Section 2.