Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ivancic-layer3-encryptors-00.txt

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> 	Title		: Use And Implementation of Layer-3 Encryption Devices
> 	Author(s)	: W. Ivancic, D. Stewart
> 	Filename	: draft-ivancic-layer3-encryptors-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 6
> 	Date		: 2003-8-5
 >
 > This document  describes some issues related to performing
 > encryption at layer-3.  In particular, routing protocol problems
 > may result if the time-to-live (TTL) field in IPv4 or the Hop Limit
 > field in IPv6 is decremented once before encapsulation [1][2].
 > Also, special provisions may be necessary within the encryptor
 > devices if broadcast messages are to transition the encryptor
 > pairs.  Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) issues are also presented.

This draft refers to RFC1853 for IP-in-IP encapsulation which was
Informational. The more useful reference would be to RFC2003, which is
Standards Track.

RFC2003 appears to cover most of the issues in this document, where
IPsec-specific issues are further covered already in RFC2401 and its
pending update.

Joe