Re: revised IPsec processing model: Q: VID and forwarding function

Stephen Kent wrote:
> At 9:09 -0700 7/19/03, Ricky Charlet wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>     I'm trying to understand the motivations for VIDs and explicit
>> forwarding function separation. Currently, I am guessing (based on
>> your first paragraph) that these new features enable PPVPNs and/or
>> overlay networks. If so, how so? If not, what new functionality is
>> enabled by these features?
>

> There was a long series of off-list and post-WG meetings discussions
> involving folks had expressed concern over how to modify IPsec
> processing to better accommodate PPVPNs and overlay nets. The grouops
> included  Mark Duffy, Greg Lebovitz, and Joe Touch I developed this
> model and vetted it with this group some months ago.

FYI (all):

At best, only the basic concept of doing a forwarding lookup was
presented during a brief conversation at the Atlanta IETF; I cannot
speak for the others, but this thread was the first I've seen of this
proposal, and we certainly were not involved in developing it, or
participating in a "long series" of meetings about it.

I would not consider it 'vetted', but rather proposed at best. Even at
that time Lars Eggert and I expressed significant concerns about this
proposal.

A brief summary of some of those concerns, to the extent that we could
address them absent a detailed proposal, was discussed in section 4.1.3
as "Alternative 3" of the final update of our ID on the issue of support
for dynamic routing in IPsec (draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-05.txt).

Joe