Re: revised IPsec processing model: Q: VID and forwarding function

At 13:29 -0700 8/4/03, Joe Touch wrote:
>Stephen Kent wrote:
>>At 9:09 -0700 7/19/03, Ricky Charlet wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>     I'm trying to understand the motivations for VIDs and explicit
>>>forwarding function separation. Currently, I am guessing (based on
>>>your first paragraph) that these new features enable PPVPNs and/or
>>>overlay networks. If so, how so? If not, what new functionality is
>>>enabled by these features?
>>

>>There was a long series of off-list and post-WG meetings
>>discussions involving folks had expressed concern over how to
>>modify IPsec processing to better accommodate PPVPNs and overlay
>>nets. The grouops included  Mark Duffy, Greg Lebovitz, and Joe
>>Touch I developed this model and vetted it with this group some
>>months ago.
>
>FYI (all):
>
>At best, only the basic concept of doing a forwarding lookup was
>presented during a brief conversation at the Atlanta IETF; I cannot
>speak for the others, but this thread was the first I've seen of
>this proposal, and we certainly were not involved in developing it,
>or participating in a "long series" of meetings about it.

Joe, sorry for the confusion caused by a misplaced "s" in the above
text. My message was supposed to refer to "post-WG meeting
discussions."  I think others who read the message interpreted my
typo as I had intended, and as restated, it is accurate. I did not
mean to suggest that there were a set of post-WG meetings among the
interested parties.  We did, however, exchange a number of e-mail
messages on the topic.

>I would not consider it 'vetted', but rather proposed at best. Even
>at that time Lars Eggert and I expressed significant concerns about
>this proposal.
>
>A brief summary of some of those concerns, to the extent that we
>could address them absent a detailed proposal, was discussed in
>section 4.1.3 as "Alternative 3" of the final update of our ID on
>the issue of support for dynamic routing in IPsec
>(draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-05.txt).

My view is that the majority of the participants in the discussions
found it an acceptable model, but you and Lars did not.  rough
consensus?

Steve