RE: SPD issues

This wording is not sufficiently clear as their is quite a difference
between
the routing applied *after* IPSec processing in tunnel mode, and the routing
required to get a red datagram to IPSec, i.e., either to some virtual or
real
interface to which an SPD is attached that has a policy relevant to the
datagram.
In the latter, the route may very well not be "real" in the sense that it
may
exist solely for the purpose of getting the red datagram to IPSec, and in
fact the
destination IP address may be some private address (with IPSec in tunnel
mode)
that couldn't possibly be reached via the public Internet by a conventional
(non-VPN) forwarding decision.

In a purist sense the solution to these issues falls into the realm of
implementation
details that don't really need to be specified in 2401bis.  I don't think
2401bis
should require, for example, virtual interfaces as a solution.  Rather,
there should
be an appendix in 2401bis with suggested implementations such as the use of
virtual
interfaces, or what have you.  It should point out any known pitfalls
(security
issues) with various implementation choices.  But that's just my 2 cents
worth.

<soapbox>
It seems to me that the real issue here goes to the heart of the original
principals
of IP networking.  An IP network ideally ought to be a bunch of networks
connected
together by boxes whose sole function is to perform the forwarding function.
All
other processing really ought to be done by the hosts connected to those
networks,
just as the "forefathers" knew that reliable data exchange should be
accomplished
by the end-points using a transport level protocol (TCP) running over an
unreliable
best effort datagram delivery service, rather than by having per-link error
correction
as in X.25.  So (as the IPv6 folks have recognized) security must ultimately
also be
done end-to-end.  A security gateway is no more and no less an abomination
than a
NAT box and ideally should be viewed as a temporary solution until we have
full end-to-end
security.  But of course, it is very likely that this utopian vision won't
come to
pass in my lifetime.
</soapbox>