IPv6 RH (was Re: SPD issues)

At 16:34 23/10/2003 +0300, Tero Kivinen wrote:
>Markku Savela writes:
>> For me, it is the next hop destination. Note, however that if SG is
>> also a router, there will be two cases for incoming packet with
>> routing header:
>> a) ip dst = routers own address => process routing header, IPSEC will
>> apply to next hop. (which may be the router itself again).
>> b) ip dst != routers own address, routing header is NOT processed,
>> next hop is searched based on the ip dst address. Again, IPSEC apply
>> to next hop.
>> This is as it should be. Do not mess with it!
>
>That interpretation is fine as long as there is nothing that looks
>like firewall there. In the IPsec there are drop rules so it have a
>minimal firewall inside of the IPsec implementation. Using the routing
>header allows users to bypass the restrictions created by the
>adminstrator.

Tero,

I tend to agree with your interpretation, the decision should be based on the final destination and not on the next hop. This is clear for the bypass/drop 'firewall' SPD entry.

AFAIK with the existing IPv4 implementations, the source routing option has been ignored by IPSec (it looked only to the IP destination address).

Of course, IPv6 is much more complex; specifically since Mobile IPv6 is also using RH. And, there you probably want to make your decision on the next hop... Contracdicting my first paragraph ;-)

Perhaps, the decision should be made if either the destination IP or any RH next-hop IP are matching the selector?

-eric