[Ipsec] OCSP in IKEv2

Charlie,

Recent discussions in the PKI4IPSEC working group exposed a
disconnect between IKE's specification of CRLs and their utility
given likely CRL size.  Towards in-band alternatives, OCSP as
developed by PKIX and defined by RFC 2560 is a viable option for
IKE in-band signaling of certificate revocation status.

OCSP did not exist as an RFC when IKE was originally drafted; it
was still an I-D at that stage of IKE's development. Its absence
in IKE's original specification is thus understandable.  But
OCSP does now exist as an alternative to CRLs.  Per a recent
PKIX poll, there are something like eight independent
implementations of OCSP.

I strongly encourage amendment of IKEv2 to accommodate OCSP.
TLS has already done so, as has the OWA community.  Why not
IPSEC?  I realize this notice is probably too late for -13 but
might consensus could be formed for inclusion in -14 of IKEv2?

Michael Myers