dam-l (Fwd) India Dam

From:           	"John S. Stevenson" <jssteven@ccs.carleton.ca>
Subject:        	India Dam
To:             	dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Date sent:      	Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:29:38 -0400 (EDT)
Copies to:      	jssteven@alfred.ccs.carleton.ca (John S. Stevenson)

April 23, 1999

Dear Dianne:

I recieved your e-mail re opposition to the dam being built in India,
I am fully in favour of the dam being build, I think it would be a very
positive step for  people in the area, it is certainily green, does not
add to the green-house effect., does not cause polution, no problum of
disposal of nuclear waste, after visiting  my mother in Hudson Quebec, just
after the ice storm of 1997, one really appreciates electric power.

My complaint is where they are building, to flood  fertile farmland, to
say nothing of the social problums of displacing 20,000 people
is absurb,they should put the dam upstream, and flood some scrub land in an
area
that is not heavily populated.I realize that the power would be farther
away from the markets, but with the very high voltages that one can
transmitt power today, one can economically transmitt power long distances,
I believe Montreal gets some of it"s power all the way from James Bay.

Yours sincerely

John Stevenson

Dianne Murray, Coordinator/Webmistress
Dam-Reservoir Working Group; Ottawa, Canada
Dam-Reservoir Impacts and Information Archive
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams