dam-l : Re: Attaturk Dam (fwd)

Looking for information on Attaturk dam.

From: DorGreen <DorGreen@aol.com>
To: mrozengurt@juno.com
Subject: Re: Attaturk Dam
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:18:41 EDT

I have been able to find a little info on the Southeast Anatolia Project
or
the GAP Project as it is called in Turkey, of which the Attaturk Dam is
just
one of 22 dams planned.  8 on the Tigris, 14 on the Euphrates.  19 hydro
power
stations on both rivers. Two enormous 26.4 KM irrigation tunnels and 4000
km
network of irrigation canals.  It is about 60% complete, totally financed
by
Turkey.  None of the international lenders would touch it because of the
impacts on Iraq and Syria.

The sale of electricity is supposed to just about have paid for the dams.
However, the humidity in the target area has increased from 30% to 90%
leading
to an enormous increase in the bug population, and the need to increase
spraying of pesticides from four times a year to 10 to 15 times a year.

My guide is trying to learn more.  I have xerox copies of a brochure
published
before the start of construction, and some pages out of a book "
Everything
you every wanted to know about Turkey" to share with you.

I am still trying to get organized after returning.  Will call when I get
my
act together.    Dorothy