dam-l Travel notes - Train to Dhule Jail, 27 Sept.

Travel notes - Train to Dhule Jail, 27 Sept.

Sep 21.  Supporters meet president. Submergence in Domkhedi. Water up to
the nose. People call from all over the world to find a solution. At the
point of liberation, Maharashtra government responds by arresting
hundreds.  Releases them.  Clamps section 144 taking away their basic right
to form a group.  Peaceful sit-in Dharna so that a senior official from NDD
(Narmada Development Dept) may discuss with them the various issues.
Unrelenting authorities put close to 400 in jail due to 144, 151.  Hundreds
of supporters gather out of jail in Dhule. PM writes to the jail to call
off Jalsamarpan. It's day 6. Sept 27.

People asking for long-term solution.  Government looking for short term
crisis management.  What's it to be a part of this action in Dhule?

The past two days, the Dhule city has been feasting on the rallies
organized by the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA).  When hundreds march singing
songs and shouting slogans, carrying fire in their hands at night, it is
reminiscent of film-clippings from the freedom struggle.  People watch from
shops, terraces and tree-tops. From the passing buses and autos everyone
peers to catch a glimpse of the movement that is making headlines in their
Marathi papers everyday. Outside the jail passers-by ask where Medha Patkar
is?  School children ask where is the Narmada dam?  Who are these people?
Those inside the jail can hear those outside and feel even more resolute
that they will not pay any bail or get out by signing any statement that
they won't protest in the next 6 months.  Hundreds of adivasis are in jail.

And we thought that there was no land for resettling them. How could we
forget the jail?

Some of us meet the collector and ask him to pass on our message to the
chief ministers. We are from organizations all over the country like
Aid-India, Bargi Baandh Visthapt Sangh etc. We ask that the demand of
discussions between the government and valley people be met.  The collector
appears concerned about the cause but says he doesn't have jurisdiction or
powers to do anything other than pass on the message to the CM. Is that a
crown on his head, as he is smiling at us? No it is a huge (8 feet wide)
colour photo of a familiar dam. We ask him is that the....  "yes" he says,
"it is the Sardar Sarovar dam"... in my office above my chair! Your office
is surely in your jurisdiction.  Can you remove that photo that is
threatening the people...  that's our demand from you sir! His name is
Sethi, the collector of Dhule if you are ever there tell us if you see his
crown he told us he will remove it.

Life goes on, as unusual as ever for people inside the jail, and outside
it. Aravinda tells everyone through the roadside loudspeaker how when Henry
David Thoreau refused to pay the taxes since they supported slavery and
wars, he was put in jail. When his friend Waldo Emmerson visited him and
asked "Henry what are you doing in jail!" he retorted "Waldo, what are you
doing out of jail?!" It is translated into Hindi and everyone laughs. To
meet those inside we have to get their names and wait for hours and then
they speak to us through a mesh in hushed voices.  After this 3-minute
ritual we are very excited.

Though out of 400 we only meet a handful, we feel privilaged. A sessions
judge will tell us today if the Satyagrahis will come home or spend another
week there.  "Jab tak jail mein chana rahega, aana jaana banaa rahega" (As
long as Jails are open for business, we will be in and out) we all shout
when we go on a rally on the streets of Dhule. "Jeena hai to marna seekho,
Kadam kadam par ladna seekho" (To live learn to die, with every step learn
to fight)

Can we just be onlookers? Do we have the power to change the
system? Collectors think they don't. CMs, PM and President haven't done
much. But people think they can bring about a transformation. If you are an
ordinary citizen like my fellow travellers concerned with people's issues -
then ACT.…..SPEAK OUT.  Support the Narmada struggle.  Demand from your
elected officials that they sit on the same table as the adivasis and have
a dialogue. Telling the Chief Minister of Maharashtra that you don't agree
with the way they deal with non-violent satyagrahis who are demanding a
dialogue with his senior officers may open his eyes.  Letting loose the
police on them and putting them in jail is not the way.  After all people
whose lands and homes are drowning are only asking to be heard. They are
not criminals. In fact in jail is Keshav Bhai of Neemghavan village who has
received the prestigious international Right Livelihood Award. It is not a
sin for a person - who lost whatever dear to him/her house, fields,
livelihood…even lives - to tell the world to mend its ways!!

Ravi Kuchimanchi (aid@vsnl.com)