dam-l notice

Dear listmembers:

I regret to send this along but it has become necessary.

Due to fiscal constraints I regret that DRWG is forced to request
that listmembers make an annual freewill contribution to the dam-l
list service of a suggested $25 US/person and $150 US corporate
corporate or institutional.

If you feel you have a good argument for why you or your
organization should be exempt please email privately:
dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca and we'll see if something
can be worked out.  I wouldn't want to lose people from the lists
because of this.  I realize we have a wide variety of financial
situations regarding people and groups subscribed to the lists
and that not everyone is in a position to do so.

Now then: the good news...
OPIRG-Carleton *is* a registered charity within Canada, for whatever
that is worth so we can issue you with a tax receipt.

Please send contributions of OPIRG-Carleton, earmarked for the Dam-Reservoir
Working Group.

Due to tuition increases the PIRG is under financial stress as well
as we have fewer students each year.  It would seem Carleton is more
interested in cash [part of this is due to our short-sighted Premier
and cabinet in Ontario, who may have graduated high school but we're
not sure...] than how smart their students are, and in what McLean's
[Canada's national newsmagazine] thinks of our undergrad programs
than in what the international community thnks of our graduate programs
and research.

It's reached to the point where our President, Dr. Richard Van Loon has
gone to the media to castigate Harris for cutting Ontario's univerities
off and how this will harm Canada's economy [Canada's universities have
a good international reputation and many peple come from the US and abroad to study here in our graduate programs... even if most Canadians are silly
enough and "polite" [read self-effacing and/or destructive] enough to fail to
recognize just how good the programs here are [not to knock the programs
in other countries by any means! :]

The funds need not be in US dollars - if you want to send franks, krugarands,
zlotny, whatever, we can still deposit them and have them convereted in
Canadian cash to help sustain the webpages and the mailing list.

Our address is:
OPIRG-Carleton
325 Unicentre,
1125 Col. By Drive
Ottawa, ON K1Y 2V7
CANADA

If you know of anyone else who would be willing to lend support please
pass this on to them.

I receive no renumeration for the work I have done on this
and in point of fact am unable to [due to tuition hikes]
complete my work in  ecology at the university.

It is my belief that the list and webpages are worth preserving.

OPIRG is not a department at the university - it is a research
institute that receives money through a levy raised on a  per
student basis which students are free to have reimbursed should
they decide not to use our reserach facilities or resource centre.
It's just about enough to buy them a pint of beer.

regrets and regards,
-Dianne Murray
Coordinator,
Dam-Reservoir Working Group,