Voting for Carleton - March 24 and 25

			    Wednesday, March 25th
				------------
			    Staff, Faculty & Student
                                                REFERENDUM on the CUTS
			and CARLETON'S FUTURE!
			                ------------

TO THE MEMBERS OF THE CARLETON COMMUNITY:

This week you are being asked to vote in a campus wide Referendum
(WEDNESDAY MARCH 25TH, with advance poll on Tuesday, March 24th) on the
current and future direction of Carleton University.  For what is probably
the first time ever, ALL MEMBERS OF THE CARLETON COMMUNITY -- SUPPORT
STAFF, FACULTY AND STUDENTS -- are being ASKED TO VOTE.

REPEAT -- *ALL* EMPLOYEES of CARLETON are ELIGIBLE to VOTE in this
Referendum on the Cuts and Carleton's Future, along with the student body.

It is vital that you take the 5 minutes or so to vote.  Please encourage
all your co-workers and associates to vote.   Please note that as part of
the official referendum voting procedure, YOU ARE ASKED TO PRESENT YOUR
EMPLOYEE IDENTIFICATION WHEN VOTING.

The member-based organizations at Carleton have for a number of years made
a series of presentations to the management of this university on all the
issues being raised in the referendum.
In the course of presenting these concerns, it's become quite clear that
management either doesn't care what the broader Carleton community thinks,
or that they feel that we lack the popular support of the campus in our
positions on these issues.

As the restructuring exercise continues unabated -- indeed the pace is
escalating -- our organizations must begin to take more concerted and
determined action.  To that end, the Carleton Coalition Against the Cuts
was founded and the referendum called.  We are working together to prove to
management that we are indeed united in purpose and speaking out for the
interests of our members.  To date, the Carleton Community has had NO VOICE
and NO CHOICE in the restructuring decisions.  We are trying to provide
VOICE and CHOICE.

Many of you may have heard the criticism that our questions are "biased."
We believe that the very act of asking questions exposes us to this
accusation.   In the preamble for each question, we have stated what we
believe to be simple fact -- if people infer bias in the questions that is
perhaps their interpretation of the facts.

Nevertheless, if asking people to take a stand in support of affordable,
accessible and quality education is a bias, that is one we can accept with
a certain amount of pride.  We are demanding that the management and Board
of Governors of this university show some leadership in dealing with
funding cuts and not take the easy route of attacking the services and
academic programs that have taken many of the faculty and staff at this
institution decades to create!  Voting will send this message loud and
clear.  Not voting gives management the right to say they are acting
unopposed; if we don't vote, in other words, management can and will
continue to dismiss our collective concerns as those of a minority on
campus. Our silence, in other words, implies our consent. It is that simple.

The referendum questions being asked are:

1.	Do you think that the Board of Governors and the University
Management should freeze tuition for the next two academic years (1998-99
and 1999-2000) at current levels?

			YES				NO

2.	Do you think that Carleton should honour its obligation to students
and tenured faculty when making decisions about closing programs?

			YES				NO

3.	Do you believe support services at your university are crucial  and
should be maintained?

			YES				NO

4.	Are you opposed to the recent policies and direction initiated by
the Board of Governors and the management of this university?

			YES				NO

POLLING BOOTH LOCATIONS

ADVANCE POLL	Tuesday March 24 	- 11 am - 5 pm,  Fourth floor
Unicentre - Baker's Lounge

REGULAR POLL
Wednesday March 25 - 11 am - 7 pm

	fourth floor Unicentre - Baker's Lounge
	second floor Unicentre - outside Mike's Place
	Southam Hall - outside Theatre B
	Loeb Building foyer
	tunnel junction for Herzberg and Southam
	Library entrance in the tunnels
	foyer of Residence Commons
	foyer of Minto Building

Please remember that we are asking people to show some Carleton ID
(employee or student) in order to vote.  Your hand will be stamped to show
you voted and you will receive a sticker saying "I Voted" for you to wear.
It will take only a couple minutes of your time but together our votes can
have a tremendous impact on the debate over what *all* of Carleton's
community truly wants for its future.

VOTE FOR CARLETON!  HAVE A VOICE BY MAKING A CHOICE!