(Fwd) World Trade Watch Radio

CKCU Radio's Special Blend will be broadcasting daily reports from
Seattle next week. Needless to say, this is not the same
information that you'll see in the National Post.

Plans are to broadcast 30 minutes each morning at 7:30 AM.

Barry

TO:  ALL PROGRAM DIRECTORS
FM:  WORLD TRADE WATCH
RE:  Special Series WORLD TRADE WATCH
Title: World Trade Watch 5-part special

Food, air, clothes, money, the environment, working conditions,
democracy... All are affected by decisions of the World Trade
Organization.

WORLD TRADE WATCH will provide Live Radio coverage from the
historic World Trade Organization summit in Seattle November 29-
December 3, 1999 More Details below and at (510) 251-1077.

Trade and globalization have become driving forces in international
politics. Critics charge that the World Trade Organization, which
regulates global trade, is using its power to override national and
local laws concerning food safety, working conditions, and
pollution.

Thousands of people from international environmental, labor, and
consumer groups, will also converge on Seattle to raise issues of
great concern to community radio listeners.

Veteran radio journalist Julie Light and syndicated columnist
Norman Solomon will be in Seattle to co-host World Trade Watch.
These daily radio programs will be available free to all non-
commercial radio stations Daily, Monday through Friday, November
29 - December 3, 1999

WORLD TRADE WATCH will be ideal for immediate broadcast (live
or tape-delayed). The program will also be suitable for broadcast
weeks later. To maximize flexibility for stations, the daily 59-minute
program can also air as 29-minute modules. Stations will be able
to cut away for news headlines.

INTERNET BROADCAST QUALITY: Obtain same-day broadcast
quality (MPEG) feeds via the Internet at www.radioproject.org. If
you’re not already geared up to take broadcast quality sound off of
the Internet, call World Trade Watch (510) 251-1077, and we can
walk you through it.

TAPES to stations the following week by special arrangement. We
could priority mail you tapes to Canada on Dec 7.  They would get
you by Dec 11. We are making the programs free via Satellite and
Internet. However, since we are a small non-profit production group,
we'd like to ask stations who must be mailed tapes to make a $20-
$40 donation, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. (We
want these programs to be heard!) If you're able, donations should
be to the "International Media Project/WTO" 830 Los Trancos Rd.
Portola Valley, CA 94028.

WORLD TRADE WATCH will include animated and wide-ranging
discussions of trade and globalization issues through:

* INTERVIEWS with farmers, lawmakers, industry and trade
representatives, environmentalists, human rights observers,
indigenous activists, and concerned citizens from across the U.S.
and around the globe,

* PRODUCED REPORTS

* FEATURES with first person accounts of how WTO rulings are
affecting peoples’ lives.

* IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS WORLD TRADE WATCH will offer
community radio listeners international voices and independent
perspectives on the events and issues surrounding the WTO.

"U.S. Laws Diluted by Trade Pacts: Ruling stir criticism across the
political spectrum" - front page of the San Francisco Chronicle,
July 24,1999

Why are liberals and conservatives alike concerned about the
WTO’s erosion of national sovereignty?  How has the WTO ruled
on genetically engineered food, intellectual property, dolphin-safe
tuna, and clean air laws. Why are companies such as Microsoft
and Boeing rolling out the red carpet for international trade
representatives?  World Trade Watch provides some answers and
useful information.

WORLD TRADE WATCH broadcasts are a co-production of:

* the National Radio Project <Www.radioproject.org>, which
produces the weekly public-affairs program "Making Contact" heard
on 150 public radio stations. NRP also produces specials such as
"Unconventional Coverage," live feeds from the 1996 Democratic
and Republican national conventions;

* Corporate Watch <www.corpwatch.org>, an Internet magazine
and resource center.

* the Institute for Public Accuracy <www.accuracy.org> a
nationwide consortium of researchers and public policy experts
seeking to broaden public discourse on important issues.

WORLD TRADE WATCH
National Radio Project
1714 Franklin Street, Suite 100-251
Oakland, CA 94612

For more information call (510) 251-1077
email: wtw@radioproject.org

Barry Rueger
CKCU Radio Carleton Inc.
517 Unicentre, 1125 Colonel By Drive