[OPIRG-EVENTS] Socially Responsible Investment

Good evening,

Everyone is welcome to attend a meeting of the Capital Socially Responsible
Investment Group tomorow night with guest speaker Lawrence Guy of Triax
Labour Funds.

What:		SRI meeting
When:		Tuesday December 19th at 7:00 PM
Where:	Glebe Community Centre Library

Enjoy the evening,

Guillaume Bélanger
reply   mailto:gbkl@cuic.ca

Did you know that TD BANK and ROYAL BANK MUTUAL FUNDS, CI MUTUAL FUNDS, BPI
MUTUAL FUNDS, GLOBAL STRATEGY CANADA, TRIMARK INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT INC.,
FIDELITY INVESTMENT CANADA and INVESTORS GROUP all have substantial holdings
in Intefor and/or West Fraser Timber, two companies that have been, and
continue to log using clear cutting in the Great Bear Rainforest on Canada's
West Coast.

Why is this relevant? Because the money that you invest in mutual funds,
through RRSP's or otherwise, may be directly supporting the activities of
these two companies in particular which means that you may be financially
encouraging the clear cutting the our precious and indispensable Great Bear
Rainforest.

This is just one example that attempts to illustrate how crucial the choices
that we make about how and where to invest money are with respect to the
kind of future we want to shape and leave our children and grand children.

This message is to announce the next meeting of the Capital Socially
Responsible Investment Group.

The meeting will be held on Tuesday December  the 19th in the Glebe
Community Centre Library at 7 pm.

The guest speaker this Tuesday will be Mr. Lawrence Guy of the Triax Labour
Funds management company. The fund is sponsored by the United Steelworkers
and its investment objective is to mobilize capital for small and medium
size business for the purposes of job creation and local economic
development in Canada.

The Capital SRI Group is also planning a meeting in January to set up an SRI
investment club which would meet once a month to share information about
various companies and also make choices to invest in socially responsible
businesses.

You can reply to this message to inform us if you are planning to attend
this Tuesday's meeting and also if you are interested in an SRI club. You
can also just show up on Tuesday night.