[OPIRG-EVENTS] International Women's Day - Call for Nominations

Please distribute to anyone who may be interested....

Thanks,
Tracy Carroll
tracyac@hotmail.com

International Women's Day Ottawa:  Call For Nominations

This year, Ottawa's International Women's Day celebration will be held on
Saturday March 2, 2002. A rally will be held at the Human Rights Monument
followed by a women's fair including food and entertainment at City Hall.
This will be the kickoff party for a week full of events hosted by local
organizations in honour of International Women's Week (March 3rd - March
9th).

Our theme this year is a simple one: "Celebrating the Lives of Women". We
will be recognizing and profiling the many amazing things women in our
community have achieved or experienced. If there is a woman or an
organization you would like to nominate to be profiled and recognized at the
IWD event, please write a paragraph that could be read out loud in less than
two minutes explaining why this woman is special. We are hoping to showcase
a wide variety of achievements and experiences (for example: raising a child
as a single parent, contributing to the fight against homelessness and
poverty, choosing a non-traditional career, leaving an abusive relationship,
emigrating to a new country, empowering young girls to see beyond gender
stereotypes, etc., etc., the list goes on and on!) We will read out as many
of the paragraphs describing the nominated women as we have time for. The
idea is that in hearing stories of women's lives and achievements, we will
all see a little of our own lives in those stories, and recognize the
strength and courage in all of us.

Deadline for nomination submissions is Monday, February 18, 2002. Please
include your name and contact information (phone number & email if
available), as well as the name and contact info for the woman you are
nominating with your paragraphs. We will be calling the nominees to make
sure they are willing to be recognized in this way in a public forum.

Please send your nomination paragraphs and contact info. (mail, email, or
fax) to:

Women's Action Centre Against Violence
211 Bronson Ave.
Room 205