[OPIRG-EVENTS] Electronic Frontier Foundation ~ freedom of expression ~ Tues Nov 19, Ottawa

Electronic Frontier Foundation - Supporter Meeting
Tuesday November 19, 8pm, 2002.
Ottawa, Canada

"Imagine a world where technology can empower us all
to share knowledge, ideas, thoughts, humor, music, words
and art with friends, strangers and future generations.

That world is here and now, made possible with the
electronic network -- the Internet -- with the power
to connect us all. And future developments in technology
will enable us to access information and communicate
with others in even more powerful ways.

But governments and corporate interests worldwide are
trying to prevent us from communicating freely through
new technologies, just as when those in positions of
power controlled the production and distribution of --
or even burned -- books they did not want people to read
in the Middle Ages. But only by fighting for our rights
to speak freely whatever the medium -- whether books,
telephones, or computers -- can we protect and enhance
the human condition.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) was created
to defend our rights to think, speak, and share our ideas,
thoughts, and needs using new technologies, such as the
Internet and the World Wide Web. EFF is the first to
identify threats to our basic rights online and to advocate
on behalf of free expression in the digital age."

     - from http://www.eff.org/abouteff.html

"The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a non-profit,
non-partisan organization, founded by Mitch Kapor and
John Perry Barlow, working to protect fundamental civil
liberties, including privacy and freedom of expression,
in the arena of computers and the Internet."

     - from
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/History/People/Barlow,_John

_Perry/

At Bridgehead, 108 Third Avenue, Ottawa.

Info: 613-236-5445
http://www.eff.org
http://www.eff.org/abouteff.html
http://eff.meetup.com

EFF Supporters in up to 500+ cities worldwide can
Meetup locally on the same day every month. Search
for meetings in your location: http://eff.meetup.com/

[ related links:

http://weblog.flora.org/article.php3?story_id=230

http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Issues/Human_Rights_and_Liberties/Free

_Speech/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Issues/Human_Rights_and_Liberties/Free

_Speech/The_Censorship_Debate/Internet_Censorship/

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22free+speech%22+internet

http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Issues/Human_Rights_and_Liberties/Priv

acy/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Internet/Privacy/