From: ea610@ncf.ca [mailto:ea610@ncf.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 10:51 AM
To: ocat-discuss@lists.tao.ca; opirg-events@ox.org
Subject: [ocat-discuss] SUPPORT THE 7 YEAR SQUAT ARRESTEES!

SUPPORT THE 7 YEAR SQUAT ARRESTEES!

Please come if you can and support the 22 arrestees from the Gilmour St. squat
at their pretrial.  Rather than waiting for the government to continue to do
nothing about homelessness, we took direct action, turning an abandoned building
into self-managed social housing.  The municipal government refused to negotiate
in good faith.  In the end the police launched an attack using tear gas and
pepper spray and forced us out.

They threw the book at us: mischief, break & enter, obstruct police and unlawful
presence in a dwelling house.  None of these charges have been dropped.  Some
arrestees are facing a maximum of 52 years plus life!  The crown - no big surprise
- is showing zero respect for our efforts to defend ourselves collectively.

The pretrial will be the first tentative exploration of the crown's (lack of)
case:

Time: 9 a.m.