[OPIRG-EVENTS] ACA at the Ottawa-Outaouais Social Forum

come check out the workshops that Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA) is
presenting at the Social Forum.  all ACA workshops take place on Saturday
May 2nd and are located on the campus of Ottawa U.  for a map of the campus
go to: http://www.uottawa.ca/map/

for more information on the Social Forum itself and to find out about other
workshops and events taking place, go to:
http://socialforum.digitalindependence.org

Anarchism 101

In recent years, there has been a massive resurgence of interest in the
anarchist vision of a decentralized, non-hierarchal society. This workshop
will describe basic anarchist principles as well as debunking the many
myths about anarchism. This workshop is aimed primarily at people curious
about, or new to, anarchist ideas.

Location: Montpetit 204 (10:00 to 11:00)
Presenters: Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA)
Languages: English

Challenging oppression and redefining security

This workshop will BEGIN to challenge participants to link and oppose all
oppressions in their work. Hardened activists as well as people new to
movements are equally welcome. We will be using examples from our work in
solidarity with Mohamed Harkat as a tool to assist people in their
understandings of systematic discrimination and active solidarity.

Location: Vanier 469 (10:45 to 12:15)
Presenters: Anti-Oppression Ottawa and Direct Action Casework Ottawa (DACO)
Languages: English

Class monopoly

This workshop will be exploring the effects of social stratification (i.e.
what class you are born into) on how successful you are in life using the
game of Monopoly. In it, we will divide people into upper-class, middle
class, and working class groupings.

Location: Montpetit 204 (11:00 to 12:00)
Presenters: Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA)
Languages: English

The anti-war movement and the United Nations

The actions of the Bush regime in America have seen the first ever
mobilization against a war before it even took place. Now with the US
invasion of Iraq, the anti-war movement has reached a crossroads. In our
talk, we will offer suggestions and constructive criticisms in order to
improve this movement\'s chances at achieving the ultimate goal of ending
all wars. We will particularly focus on how appeals to the UN
or "International Law" are highly problematic in terms of achieving our
ends.

Location: Montpetit 204 (9:00 to 10:00)
-
This is the OPIRG-events@ox.org list. Participatory activist events only.