Re: validity time suggestion

At  3:57 PM 11/25/96 -0500, Carl Ellison wrote:
>An option for a certificate validity period could be "valid until event X
>occurs" (the example event used was the commit or abort of a transaction).

How do you determine when event X has occured?  If you are in bed with the
transaction server (in the example), that would be easy.  If you were not,
the only way I could see to honor the validity period would be to poll the
server everytime you wanted to use the certificate.

I note that Einsteinian notions of simultanity apply to this problem.  I.e.
there will be cases where expiration and valid use can not be ordered.

Bill Frantz       | The lottery is a tax on    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | those who can't do math.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |       - Who 1st said this? | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA