Re: SDSI syntax

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Ron Rivest wrote:

> The ability to nest objects inside each other is tremendously powerful
> and useful.  That is one reason why in SDSI[1] Butler Lampson and I
> decided in favor of fully parenthesized S-expressions, rather than having
> data structures that are flat (as I understand the whois++ data structures

Whois++ (and in general all RFC822 derived formats) are basically flat.
There was an attempt to define a recursive data model (I think Dave
Crocker was the author), but it was not a pretty sight. SEXPR notation is
better, but displeases non lisp-hackers. The two can  be combined,
e.g. a PICS instance in an HTTP header.

BTW, some parts of the example you used looked wierd - some strings were
in quotes, others weren't. If you do go for a sexpr solution it might be
better if you use something directly (read)able.

Simon

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO