Re: encodings: do we need binary at all?

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996 15:28:30 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

> The biggest problem in my mind is the fact that ASCII makes it harder
> to send around certificates in small spaces like UDP datagrams, but
> again, using bases other than 10 for the numbers alleviates that
> somewhat and it is also not clear how important this compactness is in
> the first place.

Unless you can put an absolute hard limit on the size of a
certificate, and that limit (plus some overhead) is no larger than a
datagram, then you still have to deal with certificates that won't fit
in one datagram.

Once you accept that, then whether 0.01% or 0.1% of certificates are
"large" is largely irrelevant.