Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:58:12 -0400
To: Shyh-Wei Luan <luan@almaden.ibm.com>
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: X.509 certificate and its subject name field
Cc: ssl-talk@netscape.com, ietf-pkix@tandem.com

Shyh-Wei,

We disagree on what the common model of PKIs will be, and maybe that's at
the heart of some other disagreements as well.  There is no single
idetifier, nor even a small number of them, that can be put into certs and
that are ideal for all the transactions in which I engage.  One approach is
to have each business with whom I interact do a mapping from generic certs
to their databases, but another approach is to have the business issue me a
cert to facilitate later interactions.  The issuance might be predicated on
use of a generic cert from a governmental org or a third party like
VeriSign, CertCo, CertiCom, ..., or it may be based on knowledge from an
existing customer database.  The later approach is what we are seeing now
in several systems ,e.g., Liberty Financial was among the first, and what I
expect may become commonplace.  It has numerous advantages relative to
reliance on certs issued by other orgs, especially orgs that try to
simultaneously charge for certs and disavow any liability.  This was the
focus of my keynote talk at the DIMACS trust management workshop last fall,
and the subject of a paper that will soon be released.

Steve

------- End of Forwarded Message