Re: multiple certification rules

>It was just suggested that it would be undesirable to have
>multiple certificates to apply to a single key.  Better to have
>multiple keys.   Why's that?
I'd say that depends. It would be obviously bad if you had a
certificate that said that was a signing key and another that
said it was an encrption key. It will also make automatic
trust decisions undeterministic if you have a class-1 certificate
and a class-3 certificate for the same key. Or if one said you are
Peter Lipp and the other Ben Wright - and similar things.

If you'd get two "comparable" certificates by different CA's,
this seems fine (to me).

Peter

Dr. Peter Lipp, IAIK, University of Technology, Graz
Klosterwiesgasse 32/I, A-8010 Graz, +43 316 873 5513
Was nützt die beste Erziehung, die Kinder machen uns ja doch alles nach.