Re: My two pennies

 A million monkeys operating under the pseudonym
 "Carl Ellison <cme@cybercash.com>" typed:

> At 03:57 PM 3/30/97 -0500, Marc Branchaud wrote:

<snip>

> >(23) If we do this, we should define a specific <auth> or set of <auth>s
> >for when this is the case, and also explicitly state that May-delegate
> >MUST be 0.  This, of course, complicates things.  What, exactly, is the
> >meaning when a non-key object is the subject of a cert?
>
> I was thinking, for example, of a signed purchase order or electronic check,
> signed code, ....

So for a signed purchase order, how about an "<auth>" field
containing:

( Purchase_Order (Purchase_Order_Number 009641)
(Part_Number 254525) (Part_Name "W256 Advanced Widget")
(Quantity 7) (Price_Per_Part "USD 0.05")
(Total_Price "USD 0.35") (Sales_Tax "USD 0.01")
(Sales_Contact joe@widgets.com) )

Or alternatively

( Purchase_Order (Purchase_Order_Doc SHA1
=SxVtA4KODLkzjQzzVFIL00pUc9J= http://acme.com/intranet/purchase_orders/009641
))

I think that the "<auth>" field is destined to be used for
things that are only dimly related to "secure telnet session"
- -style "authentication".  In fact, calling it "auth" can lead to
confusion, I think.  (Q:  "Is this a purchase order or just an
authorization to make a purchase order like the one described
here?"  A:  "What's the difference?")

My apologies if I have completely misunderstood something.

Regards,

Zooko Journeyman

I am not a cypherpunk.  NOT speaking for DigiCash or any other
person or organization.  PGP sig follows

Follow-Ups: References: