Re: FW: comments on <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-02.txt>

>Regarding cyber-world misconceptions, some think that by escaping
>names one can escape reality.  Others think that credit-cards deals
>would not need names or any real-life id, just assets. Surely, the
>merchant gets paid regardless, even if you use a false name.

This is, after all, what matters to the merchant.

>But this is not the end of id fraud. The bank still goes after the
>money...and uses the law against fraudulent practices to enforce the
>cardholder agreement, or criminal statues.

The bank wants to catch the person who made the fraudulent transaction. The name on the card is not likely to help them do that.

>If Mr. X uses his wife's
>credit-card, Mr. X is technically committing id fraud, and
>wire-fraud.

If he does this with Mrs. X's permission, nobody cares. The merchant gets paid from Mrs. X's account. Mrs. X does not scream "fraud" to her credit card company.

Mr. X would have to be exceptionally stupid to commit card fraud with his wife's card. The *merchant* doesn't know who the card belongs to, but the card issuer does.

Ian.