Re: The role of trust in certification

At 07:31 PM 3/12/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Tony Bartoletti writes:
>

> > The observation was made in response to one of Ed Gerck's statements,
> > to the effect that a thing cannot be used until trusted.
>
>Tony:
>
>Pardon. I said the very opposite... a thing is trusted because it works as
>desired.

Ed,

You are right, Sorry I got it backwards.  All I really recalled was that
one direction (or the other) was being emphasized, and I attempted to
counter this notion (in its absoluteness) by showing this is a two-way
street.  That is, prior to any "performance earned" I must often take
some action, and so I move forth with only the most minimal basis for
trust (essentially crossing my fingers) and then see what comes.  When
what comes is "good", my sense of trust (to do X, Carl;) increases.

___TONY___

Tony Bartoletti                                             LL
SPI-NET GURU                                             LL LL
Computer Security Technology Center                   LL LL LL
Lawrence Livermore National Lab                       LL LL LL
PO Box 808, L - 303                                   LL LL LLLLLLLL
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                              LL LLLLLLLL
email: azb@llnl.gov   phone: 510-422-3881             LLLLLLLL