Re: Re[2]: Human I&A, IPsec, and their non-relationship

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 4,MIC-CLEAR
 AANBAEY6kP5jHqK9B9PhZCCJ9mckYuKMufWr7l61LulXGwUTqFzjFC0MOYwXo5s+
 8lqrLQ7YpTzyE74pKR1cl5TAUU4=
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 CcjMnRnpJZiNm94mqk/HbPmddcp6rOgKIgVTQwQEgtTVn5EzezRh6fU8LEb5LCJh
 dYby+g5iZ12BUYpEHsbxER0=

> "Housley, Russ" says:
> > > So --- are we all in agreement with Ran that IPSEC is *not* trying to
> > > solve the human-computer authentication problem?
> >
> > I agree.  IPSEC is not trying to solve the human-to-computer
> > identification and authentication problem.
>
> The fact that we are not trying to solve it, however, does not mean we
> should impede its being solved. I think it is actually a requirement
> that any solution *not* impede authentication systems being built on
> top of our protocols.
>
> .pm

Perry,

I may finally understand.  Is this an accurate summary:

	The network layer security protocol adopted by IPSEC should provide
	host-to-host security services, including peer-host authentication.

	It may be beneficial to allow multiple security associations between
	a given pair of hosts.  If so, no specific connotation is implied
	for the different associations -- such meaning might be determined by
	the individual NLSP service consumers, or by a specific implementation
	of the NLSP.

	To provide its services, the NLSP requires the use of a key management
	service.  As there will be other IETF protocols and services
	requiring key management, and as it is desirable to minimize the
	number of overlapping protocols, the key management protocol developed
	for use by the NLSP should support (or at least not preclude) use with
	these other services, such as user authentication.

Charles Watt
SecureWare, Inc.

-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----

Follow-Ups: References: