Re: editorial on Photuris

Ran,

        I respectfully disagree with your conclusions re use of PGP
certificates with Photuris.  While PGP is the most widely used secure email
protocol in the Internet, its use is not all that widespread in the "grand
scheme of things."  Also, while it's true that IETF standards need not be
restricted to making use of other IETF standards as underlyingt tools,
there are potential problems whenever one elects to employ an "external"
technology.  In fairness, this concern also would apply to use of other
certificate formats, but at least those that are formal standards with well
documented change procedures etc. offer some greater assurance of
stability.  I think Charlie's point is a good one, i.e., to the greatest
extent possible, Photuris and IP security protoco, access control ought to
be defined in terms of principal identifiers one level removed from the
certificate format(s) that might be used to convey the identifiers and
associated public keys.

Steve