Re: editorial on Photuris

Stephen Kent writes:
>         I respectfully disagree with your conclusions re use of PGP
> certificates with Photuris.  While PGP is the most widely used secure email
> protocol in the Internet, its use is not all that widespread in the "grand
> scheme of things."

Steve;

I would suggest that X.509 certificates are also not widespread in the
"grand scheme of things" and require a horrifying X.500 infrastructure
for real world use -- an infrastructure that most people are unwilling
to deploy -- and require the use of distinguished names which, for
better or worse, are have proven unacceptable to the internet
community.

I, for one, would be happy to sit down around the virtual (or real)
table with a bunch of other people in who have an interest in this and
come up with a clean, "internet compatible" certificate format and
infrastructure. I know that Don Eastlake was starting work on such a
thing. Rather than trying to beat the dead X.509 horse, perhaps the
concerned parties could all get into a dialog going.

Perry