I-D ACTION:draft-krawczyk-keyed-md5-01.txt

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 28 Dec 95 05:06:58 GMT (attached)

Bill,

 > I finally had time to read the draft, and I find it unconvincing.

The draft was intended to describe the function and to give some minimal
background. For a full rationale you'll have to read the paper which will be
available in two weeks.

 > It has several inaccuracies, some unsubstantiated claims, and has
 > insufficient detail to understand why the proposed double hash is any
 > more robust than the current technique in the face of a weakness of the
 > compression function of MD5 (or anything else).

Please point to me any inaccuracies you found so I can correct/clarify in
future versions.

If by "unsubstantiated claims" you mean the missing mathematical analysis that's
fine. As I said the draft is not intended to convey that information.
However, excluding the pure technical details I have provided much of the
information on the function's rationale during my presentation in Dallas
and a note to this list that I sent before Dallas.
I will send a copy of that note to you personally in case you missed it.

Hugo

PS: As for the general mathematical theory behind this type of functions you
can read the BCK1 reference in the draft which can be retrieved from the
Web as I have already pointed out in the past.